The Museum of Pop Culture’s mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
'It's Coming From Inside the House!': Watch 'Alien' With MoPOP
At 7 p.m. PT this Friday, May 1 on It's Coming from Inside the House!, the Museum of Pop Culture's weekly horror film watchalong, MoPOP Manager of Public Engagement Robert Rutherford and guest Dr. Michael Wall, Curator of Entomology at The San Diego Natural History Museum, celebrate and discuss Ridley Scott's 1979 horror sci-fi masterpiece Alien.
- Register Now: 'Alien' Watchalong
In what could be argued as the best metaphor for sharing living space during stay-at-home orders with a horrible roommate, Alien follows the story of a small crew aboard a spaceship that is diverted from a long journey home to respond to a nearby distress signal, by which they unwittingly take on an extra passenger who makes life in their cramped quarters unbearable. With incredibly detailed world-building, amazing performances, and H.R. Giger's iconic xenomorph design, Alien comes in at No. 58 on our list of 100 Horror Films to See Before You Die.
Here are a handful of program elements that you can expect to see this Friday night:
- Pre-film introduction with Robert Rutherford, MoPOP's Manager of Public Engagement, and special guest Dr. Michael Wall, Curator of Entomology at The San Diego Natural History Museum, who will share the real-world insect biology that inspired Alien's xenomorph life cycle
- Exclusive photos and information on the xenomorph costume used in the film, currently on display in our Scared to Death: The Thrill of Horror Film exhibition
- Exclusive photos of other Alien- and Aliens-related artifacts from our Infinite Worlds of Science Fiction exhibition
- Cheap-as-heck chestbuster quarantine cosplay (find your inspiration here)
- Cocktails, mocktails, and beer pairing recommendations
- Chat with the hosts and other fans during the film
- Post-film discussion on the film's enduring influence on the genre
If you happen to own a copy of the film, get it queued up! Otherwise, here's where you can find Alien online:
So download or dust off your copy and register for the watchalong on our Movies at MoPOP webpage!
Learn more about Movies at MoPOP + for contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Like what you see? Support the work of our nonprofit museum by making a donation to MoPOP today!