Tony Drovetto is MoPOP's Content Marketing Manager.
I.C.Y.M.I.: Dave Grohl's Rock Battle With Nandi Bushell
Greetings, fellow pop culture aficionados, and welcome to week 34 of our I.C.Y.M.I. (In Case You Missed It) blog series, where we recap a handful of trending tidbits from the past week(s) in popular culture, in case you missed them.
- We're Open! — Plan Your Visit to MoPOP
Last week, we shared a quick recap of the first-ever socially-distanced Emmy Awards. This week, we get started with a good 'ole fashioned, lighthearted rock battle that's sprouted between a music legend and a talented young artist. Read on!
Rock and Grohl - Dave's Battle With Nandi Bushell
From his D.C. Hardcore roots to his days as Nirvana's drummer to touring the world fronting the Foo Fighters, it's safe to say Dave Grohl has achieved icon level in the music industry. But recent weeks have showed his lofty rock status doesn't put him above a good ole' fashioned rock challenge. In between sharing some of his true short stories from quarantine, Grohl has been virtually sparring back and forth with 10-year-old drummer Nandi Bushell, who we highlighted on the MoPOP blog last year after her drum cover of Nirvana's "In Bloom" went viral.
Grohl eventually caught wind of Bushell's skills and answered her initial rock challenge. Now the two drum talents have taken it to the next level, penning and playing unique songs for one another in which they play all the instruments and belt some vocals. The pair's most recent rock challenge videos are embedded for your viewing pleasure above, and we have a feeling these two aren't done yet, so if you like what you see be sure to keep an eye on their social media!
What Else To Catch Up On This Weekend
- Earlier this week, we proudly announced Seattle's own Alice in Chains as the 2020 honoree of our Founders Award, MoPOP's annual fundraiser that celebrates artists whose noteworthy contributions continue to nurture the next generation of risk-takers. This year's event will be streamed online December 1 and free to attend, with special performances by AIC and an acclaimed lineup of musicians set to put their own spin on some of the band's most iconic songs. Head to MoPOP.org/FoundersAward for all the details!
- As part of our recently-launched Vote campaign we put together a fun bracket featuring 16 of everyone's favorite presidents from popular film and television. Cast a ballot in Round 1 and come back each week as Election Day nears to see which fictional president earns pop culture's popular vote! (P.S. there's a prize involved for one lucky bracket entrant!)
- Our Grow Up! coming-of-age online watchalong film series continues at 4 p.m. PT this Saturday, October 3 as we celebrate Edward Scissorhands with MoPOP staff and special guest Isabella L. Price, host of the Nocturnal Emissions podcast. Make sure to register for the event in advance over on our Movies at MoPOP page.
- Our Into the Vault series continued by taking a closer look at a handful of tools once used by established graffiti and mural artist Lady Pink.
- And finally, through our MoPOP milestone series we took a look back at the 2011 launch of our Nirvana: Taking Punk to the Masses exhibition.
What'd We Miss?
Now that we've filled you in on a few things, what do you feel we failed to mention? Let us know in the comments, or hit us up with a suggestion on social media. We'll look to include your ideas in our next edition of I.C.Y.M.I.
For contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
If you like what you see, support our work by making a donation or planning a visit to MoPOP today!