Visitor Services Representative
Visitor Services Leadership Team
Does not supervise staff
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP. We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a diverse range of people. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact. We are proud to create both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from all walks of life to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is committed to fostering diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all. We seek out a diverse field of candidates for staff positions and expect everyone in the MoPOP community to be part of our DEIA journey.
Visitor Services Representative (VSR hereafter) is expected to promote a positive visitor experience while applying museum procedures and ensuring visitors’ first and last impression are memorable. The role is responsible for daily operations with a thorough working knowledge of the facilities, exhibitions, and activities. This person plays a key role in welcoming all visitors and maintaining visitor materials. VSRs are cross-trained and responsible for ticket sales, group orientation, event support, gallery procedures, exhibition content and interactive support, as well as provide back up for Box Office.
This is a temporary full-time position expected, but not guaranteed, to last through the summer high visitation period.
Essential Job Functions (other duties assigned)
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance at all times.
- Provide excellent visitor service by interacting with guests in a friendly, professional, and safe manner.
- Ensure a consistent high standard of guest experience for all people interactions, including visitors, employees, members, donors etc.
- Provide feedback about operations to Visitor Services Leadership Team.
- Assist peers with questions and challenges.
- Have a thorough understanding of MoPOP; its products, programs, memberships and exhibitions.
- Communicate and advocate the museum’s programs.
- Proficiently understand and utilize Point of Sale Systems and demonstrate appropriate cash handling techniques and procedures.
- Ability to handle all forms of transactions - cash, vouchers, third-party tickets, and vouchers such as CityPASS, groups and all others with high accuracy.
- Provide training for new and existing employees.
- Comply with department policies and institutions safety, health, and security programs.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Ensure museum exhibits are presentable for visitors by conducting regular walk-throughs.
- Assist with signage placements as assigned by leadership team.
- Actively support all departmental goals including sales program initiatives.
- Actively follow POS data collecting procedures and working together with VS team to meet sales goals.
- Presents themselves in a professional manner to visitors and other personnel always including attitude, punctuality, and work ethic.
- Ticketing training and resource guide updates.
- Other duties as assigned by Visitor Services Leadership Team.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment with a dynamic range of people.
- Ability to assume high levels of responsibility, handle stress, stay organized, focused, and even-tempered.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational abilities and able to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
- Candidates must have at least 2 years of customer-service and cash-handling experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; to include evening and weekends.
- Intermittent computer skills especially in Excel, Word, Power Point, and ticketing system program.
- Strong interest in the popular culture topics presented at Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP), including but not limited to music, film, television, and digital media. Musical instrument knowledge is a plus.
This temporary full-time position includes a generous benefits package that will be shared during the hiring process.
MoPOP is committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission. BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact HR@MoPOP.org.