Hannah Sandle is the Marketing Copywriter at MoPOP.
Celebrating 20 Years of MoPOP
It’s 2020, and this very aesthetically pleasing year marks 20 years of the Museum of Pop Culture. We may still be underage, but in the past 20 years we sure have done a lot. And while it IS our party and we CAN cry if we want to, we also want to invite you, our fellow pop-culture lovers and supporters, to celebrate with us. All year long we’ll have special 20 years celebration blog and social media content, like Q&As with curators, a look into the MoPOP artifact vault, and more. Plus, plenty of amazing experiences at the museum itself, like:
- MoPOP’s 100th exhibition, Body of Work: Tattoo Culture is now open through May 25, 2020.
- Coinciding with pride month in June, MoPOP will host Rise Up: Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement. Presented in partnership with the Newseum, the exhibition explores how what happened at the Stonewall Inn gave rise to a 50-year fight for civil rights for LGBTQ Americans.
- Sound Off! – MoPOP’s annual 21-and-under music showcase and competition – will take place starting with three semifinal rounds on February 15, 22, and 29, with the finals on March 7.
- The annual Science Fiction and Fantasy Short Film Festival in partnership with the Seattle International Film Festival will be held in March.
- This year’s PopCon – MoPOP’s annual pop culture conference – will be held April 23-26, with a focus on youth and music.
- Movies at MoPOP will be screening films all year, starting with 'Good Planets Are Hard to Find,' a series that celebrates movies with environmental themes.
- Six Pop+ events, which are free opportunities to experience specially curated artifacts and performances based on a theme.
Check back every month for even more 20 years celebration content!
For contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.