Oscar Winner Ruth E. Carter’s costumes from more than a dozen films will be on display at MoPOP starting June 18 in an exhibition exploring her perspective on Afrofuturism: the application of knowledge intertwined with imagination, self-expression, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
JOIN US OPENING WEEKEND
OPENING NIGHT PARTY
(no big deal, but Ruth Carter already RSVP'd to this one)
Friday, June 17 | 7:00pm–11:00pm | MoPOP
Celebrate Ruth Carter and her stunning work with us for an evening to remember. Take part in learning exercises that walk you through the genius behind Carter’s creative process, hear from the legend herself with a Q+A sesh, get down on the dance floor with DJ Lady Love, and more.
- Ruth Carter and Isabella Price in Conversation
- Cosplay Showcase with Anna He & Isis Asare
- Costume Piece Creation with Candace Cantaloupe
- 3D Printing + Costume Design with FabLab Education
- Costume Creation with MoPOP Volunteers
- DJ Lady Love in Sky Church
Regular Tickets: $30 for non-members / $24 for members
Youth Tickets (12 and under): $23 for non-members / $18 for members
MEMBER PREVIEW DAY
Friday, June 17 | 10:00am–4:00pm | MoPOP
Members always get first dibs on our newest exhibitions — they're just cool like that. Members can stop by any time from 10:00am-4:00pm on Friday to be the first to feast their eyes on this stunning exhibit, pick up a free poster, and enjoy a double discount on merch.
Not a member? Join today to attend Member Preview Day + have access to the museum year-round!
MORE FUN STUFF FOR OPENING WEEKEND
Saturday + Sunday, June 18-19 | 11:00am and 1:00pm daily | MoPOP
Keep the party going through the weekend! Guests who score tickets to the museum on these days will have an opportunity to join in on some super fun, family-friendly activities in a creative maker space! Get inspired by Ruth’s creative process — sign-ups for both daily workshops are available on site.
*General Admission ticket to MoPOP is required. Workshops will be available on a first-come, first-served basis on site.
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
An Academy-Award winning costume designer, Ruth E. Carter’s career has defined generations through her work in film and TV. Her art adds dimensionality, flair, and culture to the characters she envisions, giving power to the incredible actors that wear them. Her vibrancy and attention to detail in costuming is integral to translating stories of race, politics, and culture to the big screen. From humble roots in Massachusetts, Ruth Carter has been helping style the Afrofuturism movement for almost 40 years.
Designing pieces for films such as Black Panther, Malcom X, Selma, and Do the Right Thing, Carter has designed costumes for legends like Oprah Winfrey, Denzel Washington, Chadwick Boseman, Eddie Murphy, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, and more.
MoPOP is proud to display more than 60 of Carter’s original garments while also showcasing her immersive process, historical research, and attention to detail that imbues every project she brings to life.
- Costumes designed by Ruth E. Carter from films including Black Panther, Do the Right Thing, Selma, Malcolm X, Roots, Coming 2 America, and more
- Immersive, interactive experiences including a Black Panther “Warrior Falls” photo opportunity
- Afrofuturistic installation incorporating original artwork by Brandon Sadler
- Original drawings, paintings, photographs, sketches, and mood boards
- Descriptive text panels with supplemental digital materials
THANK YOU TO OUR GENEROUS SPONSORS