The Museum of Pop Culture’s mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
20 Years of MoPOP: 'Founders Award' Benefit Event Celebrates Game-Changing Artists
To celebrate 20 years of the Museum of Pop Culture, we're highlighting 20 of the most notable moments from MoPOP's history. For our nonprofit museum's 12th milestone (see the first 11 milestones at the bottom of this blog!), we're putting the focus on Founders Award, our annual signature benefit gala that celebrates game-changing artists whose noteworthy contributions continue to nurture the next generation of risk-takers.
Since 2007, the Museum of Pop Culture's Founders Award benefit event has celebrated artists whose noteworthy contributions continue to nurture the next generation of risk-takers. The inaugural event in 2007 featured Ann and Nancy Wilson, Seattle heroes and co-founders of Heart. In the following years, we’ve honored a host of game-changing artists, including Buddy Guy, Carlos Santana, Jimmy Page, The Doors, and Brandi Carlile. Proceeds from the Founders Award go toward funding vital museum education and programming efforts.
“I’m a Seattle girl through and through. I learned everything I ever needed to know about life and music in this city and this means everything to me,” Carlile said at last year's Founders Award ceremony, pointing out that she might be the only recipient of the award to have ever busked and asked for money outside MoPOP. “I absolutely mean that from the bottom of my heart.”
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Artifact - Jimi Hendrix's Mixing Console
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Oral History - Al Hendrix
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Exhibition - 'Strats, Studios and the Seattle Sound'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Experience Music Project Launches With Weekend of Concert Festivities
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Sound Lab' Inspires Visitors to Find Their Inner Musician
- 20 Years of MoPOP: The Launch of Sound Off!
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Pop Conference Engages Music Community
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our First Traveling Exhibition - 'Artist to Icon: Early Photographs of Elvis, Dylan, and the Beatles'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Yes Yes Y'all' Documents Hip-Hop's First Decade
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame Launches
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Youth Advisory Board Influences Teen Programming
Learn more about MoPOP's Founders Award + for contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
If you like what you see, support our work by making a donation or planning a visit to MoPOP today!