The Museum of Pop Culture’s mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
Join MoPOP Staff for Themed Costume Days at the Museum in October!
Spooky season is upon us at MoPOP and in the spirit of all things scary, you might find some MoPOP staff dressing a little bit differently this October.
Each Saturday throughout the Halloween month, you may encounter museum staff wearing a themed costume while they work! From Disneybounding to Dungeons & Dragons, there's likely a themed costume day that fits one of your favorite fandoms, so we're inviting you — yeah, you — to join in on the festivities.
A calendar of October's themed costume days is outlined below, but before we get to the fun stuff, it's important for us to outline the rules we have around wearing costumes at MoPOP. Make sure to read each bullet below before deciding to don your Halloween best to our museum this October.
- Costumes must fit through a single doorway (less than 85.5-inches tall X 35-inches wide)
- Costumes cannot include: pyrotechnics, fire, smoke, steam, fog, helium balloons, et cetera and are subject to MoPOP building policies
- No nudity, lewd, or offensive costumes
- No full or partial body paint in place of clothing
- Photo identification may be required for guests with face concealing paint, prosthetics, or masks
- Functional weapons are strictly prohibited
- Costume weapons must be inspected at the security station located at the event's entrance and must conform to state and federal law
- Projectile costume weapons must be rendered inoperable
- Costume swords must be tied to the costume so that they cannot be drawn
- Costume weapons will be tagged with a wristband after security's inspection
- Individuals not willing to have their costume weapons inspected or tagged, or are not willing to comply with the above, will be asked to leave the premises
OK, with that bit of housekeeping out of the way, here's a look at the themed costume days on deck for October. Mark your calendars, plan your visit, and we'll see you soon at MoPOP!
Saturday, October 2: Disneybounding!
What is Disneybounding, you ask? Since no one over age 13 is allowed to wear a costume in Disney parks, adults are "Disneybounding" to join in on the fun. Using everyday clothes and accessories you already own, Disneybounding emulates the spirit of your favorite character without going full-on costume. An easy way to start off the month! Check out Pinterest for some Disneybounding inspiration!
Saturday, October 9: Dungeons & Dragons
With the nerd renaissance in full swing, more people are getting into Dungeons & Dragons than ever before. Now is the time to dress up like your original character, create a new one, or battle the good guys as a monstrous beast!
'Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty' organized by Sanrio and the Japanese American National Museum (November 2015-May 2016 at MoPOP)
Saturday, October 16: East Meets West
Inspired by the immense popularity of the K-Pop block of music videos rolling on our Sky Church screen and the overwhelming success of our 2015-16 exhibition Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty, we’re celebrating all the great things Asian pop culture has brought to Seattle. Start working on your next anime cosplay, profess your love for Studio Ghibli, or channel your favorite K-Pop group!
Saturday, October 23: Music Video Throwbacks
From Michael Jackson's "Thriller" to Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation," recreate your favorite iconic looks from music videos through the years!
Saturday, October 30: Scary Saturday!
We’ve spent the rest of the month being cute and cool, now it’s time to get scary! Bring your zombie, ghoul, or ghost A-game to MoPOP!
Learn more about MoPOP's exhibitions + for contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
If you like what you see, support our work by making a donation or planning a visit to MoPOP today!