The Museum of Pop Culture’s mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
20 Years of MoPOP: Our 100th Exhibition - 'Body of Work: Tattoo Culture'
To celebrate 20 years of the Museum of Pop Culture, we're highlighting 20 of the most notable moments from MoPOP's history. For our nonprofit museum's 19th milestone (see the first 18 milestones at the bottom of this blog!), we're celebrating the launch of our 100th exhibition.
MoPOP opened its 100th exhibition, Body of Work: Tattoo Culture, in February 2020 exploring the rich history and modern artistry of tattooing as a dynamic, ever-evolving artform whose mainstream acceptance has been driven by popular culture.
Through large-scale infographics, historical and contemporary photographs, interviews, short films, and interactive experiences, the exhibition highlights tattooing across North America, serving to demystify the process and de-other the culture.
Body of Work: Tattoo Culture also features original works of art created by tattoo artists based in the Northwest. The artists selected for the exhibition demonstrate the wide range of styles possible in tattoo art, and show the diversity and inclusivity of tattoo practitioners and the people who get tattoos.
The exhibition is now open and has been extended until May 31, 2021. Plan your visit today.
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Artifact - Jimi Hendrix's Mixing Console
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Oral History - Al Hendrix
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Exhibition - 'Strats, Studios and the Seattle Sound'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Experience Music Project Launches With Weekend of Concert Festivities
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Sound Lab' Inspires Visitors to Find Their Inner Musician
- 20 Years of MoPOP: The Launch of Sound Off!
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Pop Conference Engages Music Community
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our First Traveling Exhibition - 'Artist to Icon: Early Photographs of Elvis, Dylan, and the Beatles'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Yes Yes Y'all' Documents Hip-Hop's First Decade
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame Launches
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Youth Advisory Board Influences Teen Programming
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Founders Award' Benefit Event Celebrates Game-Changing Artists
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Nirvana: Taking Punk to the Masses' Exhibition Launches in 2011
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Can't Look Away: The Lure of Horror Film' Signals First Foray Outside Music + Sci-Fi
- 20 Years of MoPOP: The Residency Provides Youth Development Through Hip Hop
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Name Change to Museum of Pop Culture
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Creating a New Mission and Core Values
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Achieving LEED Gold Certification
Learn more about 'Body of Work: Tattoo Culture' + for contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
If you like what you see, support our work by making a donation or planning a visit to MoPOP today!